You may be ready to jump into Facebook marketing and Facebook advertising, or you may already be using this powerful marketing tool. In either case, a quick refresher course (or crash course for Facebook marketing newbies) is in order. The Facebook Promotions Guidelines are a great place to start.
Business Promotions on Facebook Pages
Since August 2013, users may now run Facebook promotions on the timeline as well through apps. This opens up many new ways for your followers to interact and participate. For example, you can now:
- Collect entries by having users post on the Page or comment/like a Page post
- Collect entries by having users message the Page
- Utilize likes as a voting mechanism
However, businesses still cannot run promotions on a Facebook profile.
Encourage Accurate Tagging in Facebook Promotions
Facebook wants to enable businesses and entrepreneurs to create success for their brand through online promotions, but they also care about their users and the quality of the content that is presented to them.
Facebook wants to keep their Page content accurate, so don’t encourage people to tag themselves in images they are not actually in. The examples given in the Facebook promotions guidelines news release are:
- It’s OK to ask people to submit names of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize
- It’s not OK to ask people tag themselves in pictures of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize
Official Facebook Promotions Guidelines
- If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion (ex: a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including:
- The official rules;
- Offer terms and eligibility requirements (ex: age and residency restrictions); and
- Compliance with applicable rules and regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered (ex: registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals)
- Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
- A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
- Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines and friend connections must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries”, and “tag your friends in this post to enter” are not permitted).
- We will not assist you in the administration of your promotion, and you agree that if you use our service to administer your promotion, you do so at your own risk.
I encourage you to read the Facebook Page Terms in its entirety.
Respect the Facebook Promotions Guidelines
Facebook is serious about marketing. Respect them and you can have a powerful targeted marketing tool at your fingertips. Cross their boundaries and you may lose an important ally for your brand.
Be tactful in your marketing to avoid getting banned for misuse. Copy pasting the same message too many times, or adding too many friends in the same day will get your account suspended for spamming, even if that is not your intention.
Facebook is your ally in promoting your brand. Follow their guidelines, provide quality content to your fans, and don’t spam.
If you liked this post, make sure you subscribe to our blog so you don't miss out. For comments, please use the box below. To get answers to your questions, or to get started with Your Credible, Profitable, Measurable Web Presence, contact my team NOW!
Keep LIFE simple,
CEO | Founder | Chief Web Developer
Please note that I may earn a small commission for products, services, and/or programs I review or recommend on my websites. Thank you for your support!